Update from Working Families: Jan 2019
Cityparents’ charity partner Working Families recently won two awards for their legal advice service: the 2018 Law Society Excellence In-house award and a high commendation at the 2018 LawWorks Pro Bono Awards.*
The awards recognised Working Families’ innovative pro bono e-mail ticketing platform, which uses five participating law firms and 30 trained solicitors to pick up and draft responses to queries from parents and carers receiving unjust treatment at work.
This initiative boosts the capacity of Working Families’ legal advice team, which helps working parents and carers understand and assert their employment rights. The charity responds to 2,500 individual queries per year, nearly three-quarters of which come from low-income parents and carers.
This work wouldn’t be possible without the generosity of our supporters. If you are interested in contributing to the Working Families legal advice service, please consider becoming a Changemaker, part of an exclusive group of regular donors committed to making a difference, changing the world of work for good.
“I’m a lawyer and working mother with three children, who was very fortunate to be offered flexible working 31 years ago. I wanted to support an organisation which helps parents and carers find a better balance between responsibilities at home and work, so that they can be productive at work and enjoy time with their families.” ~ Sue Jackson, Changemaker
Your support will:
- empower working parents and carers to take control of their time and be there for the loved ones who depend of them.
- help Working Families be a voice for parents and carers, going to lawmakers to push for changes.
- help society move closer to Working Families’ vision: that everyone can achieve the balance of work and life that’s right for them.
- give you access to various levels of Working Families events and updates to find out more about how your support is making a difference, and to have your say.
To become a Changemaker, please visit workingfamilies.org.uk/changemaker.
If you’re a Cityparents member who has recently joined the new Influencers network, you can choose to receive a personalised introduction to Working Families and our Changemaker programme.
Why not help your employer become a ‘Top Employer for Working Families’?
The Top Employers for Working Families Benchmark 2019 is now open.This annual benchmark from Working Families is the only tool measuring all aspects of flexible working and work life policies and practice, and how these are integrated into an organisation’s values, policies and culture. It includes all employees at all levels of seniority across the business.
Taking part in the benchmark enables employers to:
- audit their flexible working policies and practices
- understand what agility looks like for all employee groups and all levels of management
- see whether they are ahead or behind the curve in the development of flexible and family friendly working; and
- get tailored feedback and next steps support from Working Families.
The benchmark is a comprehensive management tool that provides an in-depth picture of culture, policies and practices, and priority areas to focus on in future HR strategy. Want your organisation to take part? Put your HR team in contact with us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working Families is the UK’s leading work-life balance organisation.
The charity helps working parents and carers and their employers find a better balance between responsibilities at home and work.
Released On 17th Jan 2019